You can’t get stronger with just bodyweight? Phooey.
Let Todd show you how…
Are you looking for an intense ab workout that you can do in a short period of time?
The great thing about abs is that you can train them in short workout periods and still get great results.
Below is a 5 Minute Ab Workout that uses isometric exercises.
What are Isometric Exercises?
Isometrics are exercises where you contract the muscle but you don’t actually move the joint. The most popular isometric ab exercise that you probably know is, The Plank. For those of you who don’t, you start on the floor then lift your body up parallel to the ground. You hold this position while resting on your forearms and the tips of your toes. This is an isometric exercise because your abs need to stay contracted in order to keep you up but you’re not moving.
Isometric exercises don’t stop there! There are literally hundreds of isometric exercises that can be performed on any area of the body.
In today’s article, I am going to show you five isometrics that target your abs. I’ll then lead you through a workout that will help strengthen your abs tremendously all in just 5 minutes.
But first, let me straighten out a controversial topic….
How To Get A Six Pack?
Before I teach you the exercises, I want to take a brief moment to talk about the coveted six pack. There are many people out there that think doing a bunch of crunches or ab exercises will give them a six pack. It is true that ab exercises help strengthen and build the abdominal muscles. The problem that most people face, however, when trying to get their six pack to show is nutrition related.
I’m going to do you a huge favor for you, right now, because you may be a little confused. There are millions of diet books out there that tout the benefits of this diet or that diet.
I’m going to boil the most effective fat loss nutritional approach into one concept. This approach will help your abs pop through incredibly fast.
Here. It. Is.
Fill your diet with healthy meats, lots of vegetables and healthy fats. Limit or totally remove complex, process carbs.
Done. That’s a wrap. Over & Out. End of story.
It’s really that simple. Your body will have a great balance of protein (from the meat), healthy carbs (from the veggies) and fat (from the fat, obviously).
It’s not the point of this article to go too much further into it but that should give you a good starting point to start dropping body fat so your abs can show through.
Let get to the exercises!
Exercise 1: Static Leg Lifts
If you have ever played football as a child you probably did this one. My 8th grade football coach used to have us do this exercise for long periods of time. He would say, “The first one to put their feet down will be doing laps around the football field!” It was brutal.
Here’s how to do it:
- Lay on the ground. Place your hands under your lower back. This will help provide back support. Lift your legs up 3-6 inches off of the ground. Hold it for 45 seconds.
- You’ll especially feel it in the lower portion of your abs.
After you are done with Static Leg Lifts, rest for 15 seconds then move into The Turtle Crunch.
Exercise 2: The Turtle Crunch
This exercise is probably brand new to you. It’s an isometric exercise that allows you to push with a force as hard as you can.
Here’s how to do it:
- Get onto the ground and curl your body up into a ball. Cross your arms out in front of you and place them in front of your knees.
- Now push your arms downward into your knees as hard as you can. Hold it for 45 seconds.
- I promise you that you’ll definitely be feeling this one. If you really give it your all and push as hard as you can for the full 45 seconds it may be one of the hardest ab exercises you do.
After you finish, rest for 15 seconds then move into The Plank.
Exercise 3: The Plank
You may think you are already an expert on the plank. However, most people do this exercise wrong. And the reason is they don’t do it in front of a mirror therefore they use improper form.
Here’s how to do it:
- Get on the floor and place your forearms flat on the ground. Lift your upper and lower body so it is parallel to the ground. Hold it for 45 seconds.
- The key for this exercise is to keep your back in a straight line. That’s why I recommend using a mirror. Sometimes what we “feel” and what we “see” are two totally different things.
- The mirror is a tool to keep your hips falling or your head from hanging too far down.
- Your ideal position should be exactly what it looks like in this picture. Your spine is in a completely straight line.
After you have held it for 45 seconds, rest for 15 seconds then move into Right Side Planks.
Exercise 4: Right Side Plank
This isometric exercise will be strengthening your obliques, abs and arms. If you have weak arms you may modify the exercise on your forearm (just drop your forearm to the ground).
Here’s how to do it:
- Get on the ground and place your right hand on the floor. Lift your body up so your back is in a straight line parallel to the wall. You may rest your left hand on your side or extend up in the air for extra challenge.
- Make sure to breathe. Its easy to hold the breath when doing something challenging. However, you’ll be able to hold it longer if your muscles are getting the oxygenated blood they need.
Hold the pose for 45 seconds, rest for 15 seconds then move onto Left Side Planks.
Exercise 5: Left Side Plank
This isometric exercise is essentially the same as the Right Side Plank except you’ll be doing it on the left side.
Gotta stay balanced! Here’s how to do it:
- Get on the ground and place your left hand on the floor. Lift your body up again so your back is straight and parallel to the wall.
- Hold it for 45 seconds. Once you have that completed you are done with the workout!
The 5 Minute Isometric Ab Workout Video
Click on the video below to follow along as I do the complete workout.
Todd Kuslikis is the creator of Isometrics Strength, an 8 Week Isometrics Strength Plan to help you build muscle and get lean without moving an inch! It requires just one 30 minute workout performed 3-4 times per week and includes a full nutrition program to support your muscle building and fat loss efforts.
Check it out by clicking here => The Complete 8 Week Isometrics Strength Plan